Monday, January 4, 2010

Stepping Out Means Stepping Back??

I try hard not to be negative, but sometimes it is so hard! Especially when I use a perfectly good day to "recover". Yesterday I felt like the Freddie Fender song "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights". . . I was so EXHAUSTED . . . I couldn't get out of bed.. . and when I did get out, it wasn't long before I was back in it, asleep.

I knew when I got home Saturday night (at a perfectly reasonable midnightish hour) that Sunday was going to be a recovery day; I just didn't realize it would take ALL day and ALL night.

You see, I think my autoimmune disease, polymyositis, combined with the still recovering compoundly-fractured leg, is pulling a double whammy on me. Getting ready for the "gaming" party took a lot out of me; by the time I loaded up my car with all the food, drinks, cooler, ice, etc., my body was hurting. But the comraderie and laughter of the evening helped me overlook all that, But by the time I got home to the quiet of my bedroom, I couldn't ignore it any longer. And boy, did it grab me in a choke hold for a while! Makes me mad.

But, I tell myself, I can't let that get me down. Today is another day; it is cold but gorgeous outside; I have to get dressed and go out for a 2:00 appointment. Let's make this a productive day!

Anyway, the "gaming" party was a success, I think. I know I enjoyed it. A bunch of people like me who enjoy playing board games: we played Clue (I won!), Scrabble, and Trivial Pursuit. And most of all we laughed.

I'm afraid the "Dalton" people outnumbered the others by a large bit, but those intrepid few were made of stout stuff and so were able to handle us. (I don't know what it is about my hometown--- but we gravitate toward one another. Or at least the ones with the same sense of humor and intellectual curiousity seem to do so. I know it seems weird to others. . . heck, it IS weird! But it is very comforting to me in a way. )

The good news, I think, is that some of the attendees enjoyed it to the point that they want to do it again, so maybe someone else will host one before too long! (I'm afraid I don't have enough room here . . . maybe when my studio gets fixed up?)

OK, Del, let's go get dressed and step out to face the world today, before too much more time has slipped by!

No comments:

Post a Comment