Monday, December 28, 2015

My latest obsession: Cheddar-Fennel Seed Coins


I think I've found my "go-to" recipe for an appetizer, and I've made it my own! OK, I found the original on Pinterest, but after making it a number of times, I've added something and subtracted something else, and now it is uniquely mine! I also have perfected the rolling out and slicing of the coins, and no one can make them as small and petite as I can! Plus, I don't think I'll ever get tired of the taste! So what if I eat the most of them every time I serve them now? Isn't that THE POINT?? Ha!

Look at these lovely little golden coins of cheesiness -- the picture is making my mouth water! So, without further ado, the recipe:


·      1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature

·      1 tablespoon grainy mustard (I use German-style)

·      1 tablespoon fennel seeds

·      1 teaspoon Cancale N. 11 (Fleur de Sel, orange, fennel seed) (or kosher salt)

·      ½ pound sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (about 2½ cups) (I use white cheddar)

·      1 cup self rising flour



Directions:

Using an electric mixer at low speed, mix the butter with mustard, fennel seeds and salt. (Since I don’t have an electric mixer, I do this by hand. Makes for easier clean-up!) Add cheddar and continue to mix. Slowly mix in flour. Transfer to sheet of wax paper and form a log, about ½ to 1½ inches in diameter. Wrap and chill thoroughly, preferably overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice into ¼-inch slices and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack.



Makes about four dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment