Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Where did last year go?

I can't believe I haven't posted anything on this Blog since last year. Well, yes I can. It isn't that I didn't think about it a lot. But last year was a struggle for me. I admit it. I'm hoping to do, and BE, better this year!

So, I think my book club died last night. Frankly, it was a mercy killing. Oh, there is still some last gasps of breath as the long-time members try to keep it going as a supper club or movie club, but I don't think the effort will succeed. If so, it will be without me. I wanted a book club, and what I got was a get together of old friends... and I wasn't part of their history. The few who would actually read the book would talk about it with me for about five minutes, if that. What I really want is a book club of like-minded folks who love to read, with some sort of organized discussion about the book. I'll probably have to start one myself... but not this year. Too many other things to accomplish first.

However, last night wasn't a total loss. I got to play around with a new salad recipe, as I was the designated salad-bringer. Being low on cash and time, I needed something easy and inexpensive, so I found a recipe for a salad that sounded good to me, and I adapted it. The result was this light, crunchy salad that went perfectly with the hostess' lemon chicken and rice. The leftover salad held up well overnight (even with the dressing in it) and I polished it off for lunch today.

So, here's  my recipe. I think I'll call it "Pepita-Lemon Salad" (or should I call it "Pepita Cilantro Salad"?)


Del's Pepita-Lemon Salad
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or pistachio or sunflower oil)
  • 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
  • 2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce leaves
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (more if you like cilantro!)
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons roasted and salted pepitas (pumkin seeds) 

 1. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon zest and lemon juice. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly, until the dressing is mixed well. 2. In a large bowl, toss together the sliced napa cabbage, sliced romaine lettuce, parsley and baand cilantro. Mix in the dressing, salt and pepper. Gently toss until dressing is distributed evenly. Top with chopped pistachios. Enjoy!

Note: pepitas are naturally high in magnesium and iron, so this is not only a refreshing salad, but nutritional as well.

I promise to be back here soon. I want to post about my trip to Bali!

No comments:

Post a Comment